We've got a gun. In fact, we've got two. That's OK, man, 'cause we love God.



Mormons, Hobos, but No Mormon Hobos


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Like others around this place, I am moving soon. For the tenth time in five years.

It shouldn't be that bad: since I've moved so much, I've been quite good about getting rid of things I won't use/need/want anymore.

When I first moved, to the college dorms, I took about half my stuff with me. When I returned the following year, I took about half of that.

Last December, my parents were getting ready to move and didn't want to take my stuff with them: so I had to either take it with me or get rid of it. So I did. And now, everything I own is less than what I took with me to move into the freshman dorms.

Books and Music make up 80% of my stuff. And that's after donating half my books.

In any case, moving always makes me want to become a hobo. Sell off all my stuff, hitchhike around the country, etc. And now that I have to go out and buy "adult" things--like a bed, silverware and Klennex (instead of just using toilet paper)--the urge is stronger. I romanticize that sort of lifestyle. But I could never do it. One of my good friends is a hobo, and he provides many a good story, both good and bad.

I find that my approach to the LDS lifestyle is a lot like my approach to the hobo lifestyle.

I mean, both tend to be romanticized: the hobo lifestyle by the counterculture, and the Mormon lifestyle by, well, the Mormons. In particular, the Missionaries and when Members function as missionaries.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but it ignores complexity. And that's were everything interesting lies.

And, out of curiosity, are there any Mormon Hobos?


2 Responses to “Mormons, Hobos, but No Mormon Hobos”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I had a friend who was a hobo and mormon...he was for a hobo for a few years at least, but last I heard he got married so maybe he has settled down.

  2. Blogger D-Train 

    Pris, that's an interesting point about romanticization of lifestyles. It seems to me that the biggest problem with the romanticizing process is the illusion of ease in the lifestyle. Living as a stereotypical "child of the sixties" is a tough life, especially when the bills come due.

    I worry that the romanticizing of the LDS lifestyle can lead to frustration when the way is not as easy as it could be. At church, most all of us are Peter Priesthood or Molly Mormon. In private life, though, most of us probably aren't. That can only make it harder for investigators that hear a baptism-perfect life choices-celestial kingdom progression and think "hey, great!" Sometimes, it's tough to get LDS people to imagine that one could even live a different way since the Mormon lifestyle is SO clearly superior. This can lead to glossing over problems from time to time.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Links



Previous posts


Archives


ATOM 0.3