We've got a gun. In fact, we've got two. That's OK, man, 'cause we love God.



Brussel Sprouts


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I never had brussel sprouts growing up. I don't know why. I figure that my parents never liked them, so I never had to eat them.

I felt I needed to rectify this lack of experience, so I bought a stalk of brussel sprouts from the farmer's market. Everything I had read said to be very careful about overcooking the sprouts, for they are (apparently) really bad when they are mushy. Makes sense. So I boiled about ten of the sprouts for about 6-7 minutes and took them off. I think I was a bit over-cautious and they could have used a few more minutes, but it wasn't much of a problem. I poured a little melted butter over the top, seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper.

And, wouldn't you know it, brussel sprouts are actually pretty good. But I can totally understand why they have their reputation--they are possibly the most "vegetable-y" of any vegetable I've had. Which, if you, like me, like that sort of thing, is good.

It makes me realize, once again, how much we have all been lied too. By older generations, the government, religion, society, TV (have you turned on me too?), "common sense."

So many lies. I guess there's just no substitute for personal experience. Go out and try some brussel sprouts.



(I just noticed that the above quote was from the same episode of two of my favorite Simpsons quotes, ones that I actually use in real-life conversation. So, for your pleasure, even though they have nothing to do with the above, I reprint them here:

"It's funny 'cause I don't know him." -- Homer, watching footage of car crash victims.

Marge: Homey, do you ever drink alone?
Homer: Does the Lord count as a person?
Marge: No.
Homer: Then yes.)


4 Responses to “Brussel Sprouts”

  1. Blogger NFlanders 

    I've only had brussel sprouts at a fancy restaurant. They were soaked in butter and quite delicious.

    Unfortunately, I don't think this is how they would taste if I made at home, but I might just follow your lead. I think the problem is most people over-cook just about everything.

    (And my favorite part of that episode is when Marge asks "Do you ever drink to escape from reality?" and Homer starts flexing his pecs to the tune of the can-can song.

  2. Anonymous Susan M 

    Convince me that cooked spinach is actually yummy and maybe I'll agree with your premise.

  3. Blogger Arwyn 

    Iew, iew, and again, iew. Brussel sprouts are of the devil. You're obviously a faithless and horrible person for liking them.

    Ahem.

    And yes, I have tried them, and yes, I'm not just being led astray by the teachings of TV and generations of children. Vegetables are horrible and nasty things and...and...and...

    Okay. It's out of my system now.

    My roommate from college tells a story of her mother being short of funds when she was in college, and having only enough money to buy brussel sprouts. So she only ate brussel sprouts. For weeks.

    As someone who doesn't like them (or most vegetables that have to be cooked) to begin with, the story put me off of them forever.

  4. Blogger Pris 

    Flanders: that whole episode is great. One of my favorites.

    I haven't tried frozen sprouts, but imagine that they are not nearly as good as fresh.

    Susan: The trick with spinach is the same--don't overcook it. And fresh spinach is significantly better than frozen or pre-chopped/cooked spinach. I get the leafy, bagged kind and have had good success.

    The other trick is not to eat it alone. I love spinach, but not by itself. It's great with chicken. My favorite thing to do is to stir-fry some chicken and vegetables and then throw some spinach on at the end, dump some lime (or lemon) juice on it, allow it to steam over the chicken briefly (45-60 sec), then mix it in. Remove from heat, and the spinach will cook up nice and good.

    Arwyn: I already knew that I was faithless and horrible, but I don't think it's because of the sprouts...

    I think if I had to live very very cheaply, brussel sprouts would be a good choice. I'd also buy flour, potatoes, and onions. All are pretty cheap and have lots of quantity. I think, if I had to, I could live on $10/week, buying only the above. It wouldn't be completely horrible, but it could work.

    I love vegetables. Not as much as, say, meat, but still. If you don't like cooked vegies, may I suggest the other vegetable I had this week that I never tried before? It's great-- kohlrabi. In fact, I ate one raw for breakfast today. It tastes like a cross between brocolli and a radish.

    But my favorite veggie to eat raw has to be jicama. It's so good and sweet, unlike most veggies. I think they should call it "the vegetable for people who don't like vegetables."

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Links



Previous posts


Archives


ATOM 0.3