We've got a gun. In fact, we've got two. That's OK, man, 'cause we love God.



Good bloggin'


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Sometimes, I see how petty I can really be.

I hope my esteemed co-bloggers won't mind this shameless plug for another blog.

Lately, I've been reading "Struggling", a blog written by a homosexual Mormon male that is working to reconcile his sexual attraction with his religious beliefs. He has a testimony of the restored gospel and believes the Church is true, but faces a profound struggle to build faith and progress in his personal life. With all the gay-judging that occurs in the Church (and, sadly, in the online community as well), I think it appropriate that any of you that come here regularly take a look at this. I'm glad I don't have it as hard as this gentleman. Please take a look at his page sometime soon.

I bring this up for two reasons. First, I like that blog a lot. It's everything a blog ought to be --- personalized accounts of life that are both independently interesting and more broadly applicable to our own experiences. Very well done.

Second, it helps to put some of the things that I'm outraged by into some perspective. My last five posts here at UoM have concerned LSU football, a soccer game and the fans that simply refused to miss it, the German election, crushes by home teachees, and an article about an online religion survey. I think these things are important (or at least entertaining). Otherwise, I wouldn't write anything about it. However, it serves as a reminder to me that the real conflicts of life in the Church have nothing to do with stuff like imperfections in the home teaching program. The conflict that we all face is a reconciliation of who we are with who we want to be and why we want that. Everybody has a conflict or inconsistency that has to do with the gospel. These conflicts tend to be much more personal than institutional in the sense that the institutional Church is very rarely the source of conflict between who we are and who we want to become. Rather, the Church is a mediating institution, an administrator in the plan.

Don't expect me to stop griping about the institutional Church or sniping from the sidelines. But I did feel like pointing out that the primary source of cognitive dissonance or confusion stems from ourselves and not from someone else. "Struggling" exemplifies the difficulty that we, as imperfect beings born in an imperfect world, can face in trying to build ourselves in the image of Christ. It also teaches me that the fact that this process is necessary isn't our fault. Indeed, it's essential to the plan of salvation.

Gay Mormon, thanks for a great blog. Thanks for being a great example of how we're all brothers and sisters in Christ, moving forward toward a common objective.


1 Responses to “Good bloggin'”

  1. Blogger Pris 

    "The conflict that we all face is a reconciliation of who we are with who we want to be and why we want that. Everybody has a conflict or inconsistency that has to do with the gospel. These conflicts tend to be much more personal than institutional in the sense that the institutional Church is very rarely the source of conflict between who we are and who we want to become. Rather, the Church is a mediating institution, an administrator in the plan."

    Well said, D; well said, indeed.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Links



Previous posts


Archives


ATOM 0.3